The village of Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges can be found atop a rocky peak surround by medieval ramparts. Overlooking the Garonne basin, the village has as its backdrop the first heights of the Pyrénées.
In its upper part, the village's streets are dotted with artisans selling their work, boutiques and old half-timbered homes. From the cloister of the Sainte-Marie Cathedral (at an altitude of 515 meters) you can contemplate the snowy peaks of the Cagire, Gar and Montsaco mountains. The lower part of the city is known for a more "authentic", less touristy feel, and retains pastoral and agricultural activity.
A stage of a secondary pilgrimage route towards St. Jacques de Compostela, the Sainte-Marie Cathedral of Saint-Bertrand de Comminges houses the tomb of Bishop Bertrand de l'Isle, canonized in the thirteenth century.
Not to be missed
- The Sainte-Marie de Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges cathedral (XI-XIIe), with its elegant roman-gothic architecture, Renaissance stained glass windows and remarkable 16th century choir with carved stalls.
- The Saint-Julien du Plan chapel and early Christian basilica who, along with the cathedral, are classified as UNESCO World Heritage sites under the title of "Route of Santiago de Compostela."
- The remains of the antique city of Lugdunum Convenarum
- The barns of the lower city
In the surrounding area
- The 12th century Saint-Just de Valcabrère basilica, sitting just outside the village: a must-see for lovers of Romanesque architecture, this basilica is classified by UNESCO along with the sites in Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges.
- The Esparros Chasm, a site of great natural beauty
- The Gallo-Roman Villa of Montmaurin, a national monument
- Tarbes-Lourdes-Pyrénées airport (50 km away)
- Toulouse airport (120 km away)
By train: SNCF stations at Montréjeau / Gourdan-Polignan. Bus and taxi service is available to take you the remaining 9 km.
By car: From Toulouse, take highway A64, exit 17 towards Montréjeau. Take the Nationale 125 (towards Luchon and Spain) until the lights at Labroquère, then continue towards Saint-Bertrand de Comminges / Valcabrère.
Haute-Garonne Departmental Tourism Committee 14 Rue Bayard
31015 Toulouse cedex 6
+011 (33) 05 61 99 44 00