Classified as a Historical Monument since 1924, Locronan is considered to be one of Brittany's most prestigious sites because of its architectural quality. The village indeed seems to have been shielded by a unique charm that separates it from the contemporary world.
This small town of character also counts among France's Most Beautiful Villages and is known for its large square, where the the beautiful Church of Saint-Ronan can be found, and for the suberb alignment of its granite Renaissance houses.
As a renowned site of inspiration for artists, painters, sculptors, and filmmakers, this gem of Brittany has touched generations. Many artisans can still be found in its streets.
Sitting on a mountain at the foot of Ménez-Horn in Finistère, Locronan also benefits from an exceptional location just 5 km from the sea and is the point of departure of many foot and bike paths.
Not to be missed
- Church of Saint-Ronan: Locronan's church is one of the finest available specimens of flamboyant Gothic art of the 15th century. Its annex, the Pénity chapel, holds the tomb of Saint-Ronan.
- Locronan museum of art and history: Created in 1934, this museum highlights the canvas industry that led to the village's propserity in the 16th century, as well as a collection of Breton paintings of the 20th century, testament to the region's rich artistic life.
- Le Guillou pâtisserie and boulangerie: Facing the village's old well, this bakery is known for its delicious Kouign Amann (Brittany's famous butter cake), as well as for other regional specialties.
- During the summers, the Troménies procession takes you back in time. This march, which boasts a multitude of colorful banners floating over a crowd dressed in traditional costumes, is actually a pilgrimage which follows the road to St. Ronan.
In the surrounding area
- Douarnenez: This coastal town has a lovely fishing port and marina.
- Quimper, a Town of Art and History.
- The remarkable gardens of the Locmaria Priory and Lanniron Castle.
- Quimper Cornouaille airport (20 km away)
- Brest airport (63 km away)
By train: SNCF stations at Quimper or Brest.
By car: Expressway from Rennes (200 km - 2 hrs, 15 min), Nantes (230 km - 2 hrs, 45 min), and 560 km from Paris (6 hours).
Locronan tourism office
Place de la Mairie
Tel:+011 (33) 02 98 91 70 14