Beef Bourguignon Recipe
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5kg beef chuck steak, trimmed, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 200g shortcut rindless bacon, halved lengthways, cut into 1cm strips
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 16 small pickling onions, peeled (see tip)
- 400g small button mushrooms
- Garlicky green beans and creamy mash, to serve (see related recipes)
Method of cooking:
1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, heavy-based casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in batches, for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Heat remaining oil in dish. Add brown onion and bacon. Cook, stirring, for 6 minutes or until onion has softened. Add garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
3. Return beef and juices to pan. Add wine. Bring to the boil. Add stock and tomato paste.
4. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes, Add pickling onions and mushrooms.
Cook, covered, for 30 minutes or until meat and onions are tender. Season with salt and pepper.Serve.