Mad about Movies in Marseille
The 24th edition of the Festival International de Cinéma de Marseille will take place from July 2 to 8, 2013, in more than 10 locations in Marseille: cinemas, theatres, galleries, outside screenings, etc.
With a program featuring over 40 films, some of which are being presented for the first time, Marseille’s International Film Festival supports young directors. The three main competitions in the national, international and first film categories make for an extremely diverse selection, covering the fields of music, politics,and the Crusades.
One film being presented is Cabaret Crusades: A Path to Cairo, completed by Wael Shawky as part of his Euro-Mediterranean Atelier in Aubagne. Based on Amin Maalouf’s book The Crusades Through Arab Eyes, the film’s main characters are played by marionettes. Since October 2011, Wael Shawky has worked with students from the Ecole de Céramique de Provence, ceramics companies and local santonnier makers to create these puppets..
Marseille and the cinema
Few know that Marseille is the birth place of many actors. Among the most famous, we can name Fernandel (actor, 1903-1971), Yves Montand (actor, 1921-1991) or Éric Cantona (football player and actor, 1966).
Many movie scripts placed the city at the heart of the story, giving it a very important, sometimes decisive, role.
Marseille landscapes and studios have often been used as movie sceneries. You can see Marseille in these movies :
- César (Pagnol - 1936)
- Le Schpountz (Pagnol , with Fernandel, 1937),
- Breathless (Jean-Luc Godart, 1959),
- Le deuxième souffle (Jean-Pierre Melville, with Lino Ventura, 1966),
- The French Connection (William Friedkin, with Gene Hackman and Fernando Rey, 1971)
- Legionnaire (Peter MacDonald, with Jean-Claude Van-Damme, 1998),
- Luc Besson movies : Taxi I (Gérard Pirès) , Taxi II (Gérard Krawczyk) and Fanfan la Tulipe (Gérard Krawczyk),
- Love Actually (Richard Curtis, with Colin Firth 2003),
- A Good Year (Ridley Scott, with Russel Crow and Marion Cotillard, 2006)
To finish, the city is also the set of many french soaps, like Plus belle la vie, Mafiosa or Ferry boat.
Association vue sur les docs
14 allées Léon Gambetta
13001 Marseille - France
Tél : +33 (0)4 95 04 44 90
Fax : +33 (0)4 95 04 44 91