Rendez-vous au Little Train of the Upper Somme
The "Petit train de la Haute Somme" is the last remaining section of a large military network built during WW1. The site is situated right in the zone of the Battle of the Somme (July to November 1916) where British and French armies had built a considerable network to prepare the offensive of July 1st 1916 and supply the artillery, the tommies and the "poilus" French soldiers in trenches.
Thanks to the work of an association of some railway enthusiasts, APPEVA, the line is now used.
The museum, opened in 1996, shows a part of the collection of railway material gathered by the APPEVA and patiently restored by the volunteers, helped by some employees essential to maintain the railway daily.
Twenty locomotives (steam or diesel ones) and 25 wagons are on show on the 1800 m2 of the museum. The museum is divided into three parts, one concerns the military development and WW1, one other the industrial use and the last one exhibits the locomotives in working order.
Locomotives are displayed, when possible, with one or several wagons to recreate their former use. Explicative panels (written in English, French and German) relate to the narrow gauge railway history from its development at the beginning of the 19th century to its present use on our line.
A large part of the museum is dedicated to the work of the NG railway during WW1, but its use for the reconstruction of the devastated area and its reprocess by private industries (sugar refineries, brickyards, mines, etc.) are also explained. Each vehicle gets its own explicative panel where a short summary informs of its origin and former employment.