Rendez-vous at Besse et Saint Anastaise
The medieval village of Besse-et-Saint-Anastaise
Built atop a lava flow at an altitude of 1050 meters, this beautiful and lively village is located only 10 minutes away from the Super Besse ski station, an hour south of Clermont-Ferrand. The village has a rich architectural and historical past which can be seen through the narrow cobbled streets, the stalls, and the belfry which is listed as a historic monument.
Not to miss in Besse
- The Saint-André church, built in the 12th century.
- The castle of the Bailli.
- Dr Pipet square, lined with medieval style houses.
- La Boucherie street, narrow and paved, with stone houses and stalls from the 15th century.
- The belfry, built in the 15th century, which is the gateway to the medieval village.
There are 14 signs in the village that will help you discover, for free, the architecture and heritage of Besse. It is also possible to contact the local tourist board in order to organize a guided visit.